- Olympians Robbed At Gunpoint (Image: MGN)
- Ryan Lochte and three other U.S. swimmers were robbed at gunpoint.
- No one was hurt in the incident.
- Apparently, they were in a taxi on the way to the Olympic village when they were stopped by people dressed as armed police officers.
- The Rio de Janeiro Civil Police have launched an investigation into the robbery.
Ryan Lochte, an Olympic gold medalist, and three other U.S. swimmers were robbed at gunpoint in Rio de Janeiro. The four Olympians were safe and in police protection on Sunday after the incident.
The gunman reportedly put the gun to Lochte's forehead.
[wps_products_gallery product_id=”4344660983859, 4333970718771, 4335539683379″]
Ryan Lochte, Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger, and Jimmy Feigen had left a hospitality house early on Sunday and were in a taxi on the way to the Olympic village. The USOC spokesman Patrick Sandusky said that the vehicle was “stopped by individuals posing as armed police officers who demanded the athletes' money and other personal belongings.”
Lochte said on NBC, “We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a police badge, no lights, no nothing — just a police badge and they pulled us over. They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground. And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, ‘Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like ‘whatever.' He took our money, he took my wallet — he left my cell phone, he left my credentials.”
The important part is that no one was hurt.
Lochte released a statement about the robbery, thanking family, friends, and fans for their constant support.
The statement said, “While it is true that my teammates and I were victims of a robbery early Sunday morning, what is most important is that we are safe and unharmed.”
SEE RELATED: What Americans Fear Most
- Judge Grants Preliminary Injunction vs. California Gun Show Ban
- Migrants Arrested by Border Patrol in Texas in 2 Years Exceeds Houston Population
- Maine Shooting: At Least 18 Dead, 13 Injured
- NY Judge Fines Trump $10,000 for Violating Gag Order
- Defense Department Admits Sending Back Weapons Taken from Israel to Send to Ukraine