Progressives reacted to reports that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) arrested 90 foreign-born students who had enrolled in a fake university. Those who are sharing the story about ICE using a fake university “are attributing ICE’s controversial actions to the immigration agenda of President Donald Trump,” as reported by Law and Crime. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y. and others accused ICE of deceiving students and said that the tactic was new under the Trump administration.
[wps_products_gallery product_id=”4333982449715, 4333970718771, 4334010171443″]
However, it was found out that former President Obama‘s administration founded the fake university and engaged in a similar operation in New Jersey in 2016. A total of 250 students were arrested in connection to the fake University of Farmington. When reports were made in January 2019, students allegedly knew they were enrolled in the fake school to maintain their visa status.
The university opened in 2015 as part of “an undercover operation geared toward exposing recruiters engaging in immigration fraud” called “Paper Chase.”
Eighty percent of the arrests in Michigan led to voluntary departure from the US. According to Fox News, “the remaining students either received an order for removal, contested their removal, or filed for relief.”
- Judge Grants Preliminary Injunction vs. California Gun Show Ban
- Migrants Arrested by Border Patrol in Texas in 2 Years Exceeds Houston Population
- Maine Shooting: At Least 18 Dead, 13 Injured
- NY Judge Fines Trump $10,000 for Violating Gag Order
- Defense Department Admits Sending Back Weapons Taken from Israel to Send to Ukraine