After displaying mild symptoms, Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales, has tested positive for the coronavirus. On the other hand, his wife Camila, the Duchess of Cornwall, tested negative.
According to Sky News, Clarence House confirmed that the 71-year-old royal had been diagnosed with the COVID-19 disease in a statement released this morning.
“The Prince of Wales has tested positive for coronavirus,” the statement said.
“He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual. The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus. In accordance with government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.”
Watch | Coronavirus Updates: Prince Charles tests positive for COVID 19 #coronavirusindia #COVID2019 #Coronavirus Updates: Prince Charles tests positive for COVID 19 https://t.co/rXdU7iF4hw via @YouTube pic.twitter.com/SOrgJc7g31
— THE NEW LEAM (@thenewleam) March 25, 2020
NDTV reported that the couple was tested by the state-run National Health Service (NHS) in Aberdeenshire in northeast Scotland, as said by the statement.
“It is not possible to ascertain from whom the prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks,” the statement added.
Sky News reported that Prince Charles’s last public event was a reception and dinner in aid of the Australian bushfire relief effort on March 12th at Mansion House in London. Earlier that day, he attended an “investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace, where he greeted recipients with a non-contact gesture due to concerns about the spread of the illness.”
The report added that doctors’ most conservative estimate is that he would have been contagious since March 13th.