The Trump administration seems to be growing increasingly confident that the global coronavirus outbreak originated in a Chinese bioresearch facility in Wuhan.
During a Sunday interview with ABC’s “This Week”, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he’s seen “enormous evidence” that indicates the global pandemic began at the Wuhan lab. “I can tell you that there is a significant amount of evidence that this came from that laboratory in Wuhan,” Mr. Pompeo said, but he stopped short of revealing specifics after his interviewers pressed him for details. “I’m not allowed to tell you that,” he replied.
President Trump spoke to reporters over the weekend as well. His comments also indicated that the administration believes China played a role in the outbreak. Mr. Trump appeared on Fox News on Sunday night. There, he suggested that the Chinese could be attempting to cover up an error that led to the pandemic. “I think they made a horrible mistake and they don’t want to admit it,” he said.
Mr. Trump said the White House is conducting a detailed investigation into the matter and will release their findings soon. “We’re going to be giving a very strong report as to exactly what we think happened,” Mr. Trump said. “I think it will be very conclusive.”
There has been widespread speculation regarding the novel coronavirus’s origins since the global pandemic began several months ago. Most medical researchers believe the virus evolved naturally, but several prominent experts disagree. Intelligence officials have also suggested that the virus may be a result of Chinese bioresearch. However, the comments from President Trump and Secretary Pompeo this weekend seem to indicate that the White House is growing increasingly certain in its convictions.
“We’re going to be given a very strong report as to exactly what we think happened and I think it will be very conclusive.”
— The Epoch Times (@EpochTimes) May 4, 2020
A Stronger Assertion Against the Wuhan Lab
Last week, Pompeo took a slightly softer tone during an interview with an Iowa radio station on April 30th. He stressed that there is no evidence that conclusively indicates the virus’s origin. This is despite claims from the WHO and other medical researchers who say the virus evolved naturally. “We don’t know if it came from the Wuhan Institute of Virology. We don’t know if it emanated from the wet market or yet some other place,” Pompeo said. He then added, “We don’t know those answers.”
Something seems to have strengthened Pompeo’s resolve since that interview because his comments over the weekend seemed to make a stronger assertion that the virus came from Wuhan. However, the State Department didn’t immediately comment on whether Pompeo has been provided with new information over the past week.
The Wuhan Institue of Virology is the only Biosafety Level 4 research facility in China. BSL-4 designations are reserved for facilities conducting research on exotic biological agents that pose a high risk of life-threatening disease for which there is no vaccine or therapy. The Wuhan facility is located just seven miles away from the suspected epicenter of the global outbreak. Also, the lab has been studying bat-borne coronavirus for years.
China has vehemently denied any suggestion that the lab served as the source the outbreak. and the Chinese state-owned media has launched a wave of propaganda to undermine any claims to the contrary. In March, state media outlets even speculated that COVID-19 was a U.S. bioweapon.
China will never admit to playing a role in the global pandemic. However, it needs to be held accountable if conclusive evidence exists that indicates otherwise. If that evidence surfaces, then China should be held financially liable for propagating one of the costliest coverups in history.