Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) formally filed paperwork to run for president hours before his scheduled announcement Wednesday evening during a Twitter exchange with Elon Musk.
🚨BREAKING: Ron DeSantis has officially filed with the FEC to run for president. pic.twitter.com/YZoHiTg7vU
— Greg Price (@greg_price11) May 24, 2023
Before the expected announcement on Wednesday, DeSantis submitted papers with the Federal Election Commission (FEC).
On Tuesday, Breitbart News confirmed the news of the governor's upcoming statement, as a source familiar with his plans corroborated a Fox News article revealing DeSantis's plans to publicly declare his political ambitions on Wednesday at 6 p.m. Eastern during a chat with Elon Musk.
Casey DeSantis, the governor's wife, also teased the news and tweeted what seemed to be a campaign video.
Big if true… 🙂https://t.co/Jrm528DPpA
— Casey DeSantis (@CaseyDeSantis) May 23, 2023
The steps follow months of rumors about the governor's political ambitions. Former President Donald Trump began slamming the governor in November and renewed his attack on Wednesday, calling him a “disloyal” individual.
- Judge Grants Preliminary Injunction vs. California Gun Show Ban
- Migrants Arrested by Border Patrol in Texas in 2 Years Exceeds Houston Population
- Maine Shooting: At Least 18 Dead, 13 Injured
- NY Judge Fines Trump $10,000 for Violating Gag Order
- Defense Department Admits Sending Back Weapons Taken from Israel to Send to Ukraine