Under President Joe Biden’s administration, the Pentagon rejected Washington, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser’s request to mobilize the National Guard to help with the immigration crisis.
Bowser made the request earlier this month. In it, the D.C. mayor asked the Department of Defense to mobilize the National Guard following her previous request, which the administration also rejected. Bowser’s request comes after Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott pushed forward with his plan to busses illegal immigrants to the country’s most dangerous sanctuary cities.
The Associated Press reports:
“According to a copy of a letter to the city … the Defense Department said use of the D.C. National Guard would be inappropriate and would hurt the overall readiness of the troops, forcing some to cancel or disrupt military training.
The letter said the department also is concerned about putting uniformed military members in direct contact with migrants to provide food, sanitation or other support, saying the troops have no real experience or training for that mission. ”
Biden officials have previously mentioned that they felt concerned over “the optics” of Democrats like Bowser, who are pro-sanctuary cities, directing everyone’s attention to illegal immigration.
In July, Bowser described the migrant buses Abbott deployed to D.C. as a “tipping point.” Her latest request also said the buses’ arrival was a “crisis.”
Over several thousand border crossers and illegal migrants have been sent to D.C. since the Texas governor pushed through with his plan. This number, however, remains low compared to the gravity of illegal immigration witnessed by U.S. border communities under Biden.
- Biden’s August Net Approval Rating Ties March’s -13 Low
- Democrats Shift Tone to Say $739B Tax and Climate Bill is Key]Energy Independence
- FBI Raids Former President Trump’s Mar-A-Lago Home
- Judge Grants Preliminary Injunction vs. California Gun Show Ban
- Migrants Arrested by Border Patrol in Texas in 2 Years Exceeds Houston Population
- Maine Shooting: At Least 18 Dead, 13 Injured
- NY Judge Fines Trump $10,000 for Violating Gag Order
- Defense Department Admits Sending Back Weapons Taken from Israel to Send to Ukraine