Rep. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez (D-N.Y.), along with three other Democrat Socialist members of Congress have remained silent on protests in Cuba against the country's communist regime. Meanwhile, Democratic Socialists of America released its sentiments about protestors wanting freedom from Cuba’s dictatorship.
Ocasio-Cortez, along with Reps. Rashida Tlaib of Michigan, Rep. Jamaal Bowman of New York, and Cori Bush of Missouri are four members of the DSA in Congress. Also, all of them have not spoken about the ongoing anti-government protests happening in Cuba.
On Monday, the DSA International Committee declared its solidarity with the “Revolution,” a term used by the Cuban communist regime, “in this moment of unrest” in the island nation. Its national arm, however, echoed the island nation’s president in blaming the U.S. trade embargo for the unrest.
However, Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont, who described himself as a socialist Democrat, broke his silence regarding the protests in Cuba. Ina late-night Twitter post on Monday, he urged the Cuban government to refrain from using violence. However, he also slammed the U.S. for the said embargo.
Cuba isn’t the only country with a socialist regime that the DSA treated positively.
Earlier in July, a delegation from the DSA met with the dictator of Venezuela, Nicolas Maduro, who posted photos of the meeting on Twitter.
Hoy #2Jul sostuve un grato encuentro con la delegación de Socialistas Democráticos de los Estados Unidos. Durante su estadía en Venezuela, han tenido la oportunidad de conocer personalmente la realidad y los avances en materia industrial, social y turística de nuestro país. pic.twitter.com/BsglEGaItA
— Nicolás Maduro (@NicolasMaduro) July 3, 2021
- Cuban Protestors’ Cries Against Communist Dictatorship Fall on the Deaf Ears of US Democratic Socialist
- AOC Called Israel An ‘Apartheid State’
- Rep. Taylor-Greene Challenges AOC to Green New Deal Debate
- Judge Grants Preliminary Injunction vs. California Gun Show Ban
- Migrants Arrested by Border Patrol in Texas in 2 Years Exceeds Houston Population
- Maine Shooting: At Least 18 Dead, 13 Injured
- NY Judge Fines Trump $10,000 for Violating Gag Order
- Defense Department Admits Sending Back Weapons Taken from Israel to Send to Ukraine