One might believe, apparently, falsely, those serving as public, elected officials, would/ might, by – now, realize and recognize, despite former President Trump’s rhetoric, etc, to the contrary, he clearly, lost the 2020 elections, and most polls, surveys, etc, indicate, his positions, are, predominantly, minority positions, in terms of popularity, etc!
However, several months, later, it seems, many of the Republican officials, continue, apparently, following his so-called, playbook!
It is, often, challenging, for someone, who disagreed, strongly, with many of the policies, actions, and the rhetoric/ vitriol, of Donald J. Trump, to consider, why this continues, but, with that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss 5 possible reasons, this may be, consistently, performed, etc.
Why Do So Many Elected Officials Continue Supporting Trump?: 5 Possibilities!
1. Agree with him: The simplest explanation, maybe, even, despite any rhetoric, and promises, these politicians, agree with him, or his personal/ political agenda, and/ or, believe, doing so, meets and achieves their self – interest! Since, the last elections, we seem to witness, many of these individuals, positioning themselves, as the potential, future candidate, for their party, and, continue, behaving, as they do, in order to attract Trump’s core supporters, etc!
2. Afraid of/ fear him, and/ or, his supporters: What influence, do perceive threats, and fear of suffering the wrath of this former President, and/ or, some of his, most – prominent, supporters? Instead of being appalled, by, the January 6th, insurrection, at the Capitol, it seems, perhaps, many of these politicians, feel, for, safety reasons, they are, personally, better served, by maintaining allegiance, to Trump!
3. Skeletons in their closets: We have all, heard – of, some people, having skeletons, in their closets, and, it seems, many, believe, Trump, would not hesitate, to use, his knowledge of these, as ammunition, against them!
4. Need his populist and financial support: It may be a purely, politically, calculated decision, which focuses on, trying to attract, and/ or, maintain his populist appeal, and enhance their ability, to attract, necessary, financial support, to benefit, their political agenda/ career!
5. Political/ personal agenda, and, perceived, self-interest: Many, appear, to believe, the former President, often, holds a grudge, and maintains it, for a significant period! They believe, Trump’s recent rhetoric, and harsh words, for both, former – Vice President Pence, and Senator McConnell, etc, as evidence, of this! Former Senator Charles Goodell, once, stated, why we witness this, when he said, Politicians are like antelopes. When things get tough, they paint their behinds, white, and run, with the crowd! Perhaps, the primary reason, we continue, witnessing this, is, purely, pragmatic, and, emphasizes, a personal/ political agenda, and, some, perceived, self-interest!
Wake up, America, and demand, better, more representative leadership, which seeks a meeting – of – the – minds, for the common good, less partisan politics, and prioritizing the needs of all Americans, instead of the politician’s desires, etc. Will you become a more responsible voter, sooner, rather than later?