Federal Prosecutors Say They Will Seek Death Penalty for Boston Marathon Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev

Federal Prosecutors Say They Will Seek Death Penalty for Boston Marathon Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev

Pray for the Victims as Text near Boylston Street in Boston | Federal Prosecutors Say They Will Seek Death Penalty for Boston Marathon Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev | Featured

Attorney General William Barr on Thursday said federal prosecutors will again seek the death penalty for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev for his role in the Boston Marathon bombings, the Boston Globe reports.

The U.S. Appeals Court vacated the death sentence for Tsarnaev late last month, ordering a new penalty phase trial. President Donald Trump tweeted about the decision, stating: “Death penalty! He killed and badly wounded many. Justice!”

Barr told reporters prosecutors will “do whatever’s necessary” to punish Tsarnaev.

“We will take it up to the Supreme Court and we will continue to pursue the death penalty,” Barr said, NBC Boston reports.


Tsarnaev and his late older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, set off bombs during the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013, killing three people and injuring hundreds.

Related Content:

Boston marathon bombing ‘targeted the U.S. as a whole’, prosecutor says at appeal hearing for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev

US Appeals Court to hear arguments Thursday in appeal of Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev

Court weighs whether Boston Marathon bomber got a fair trial

___

(c)2020 MassLive.com, Springfield, Mass.

Visit MassLive.com, Springfield, Mass. at www.masslive.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

UP NEXT:

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get Breaking News And Updates!

Related Articles

Scroll to Top