If you thought things were bad in Portland under current Mayor Ted Wheeler, buckle up. Left-wing activist and supporter of the violent Antifa movement, Sarah Iannarone, is running against Wheeler on November 3.
In case you missed it, Portland has been the site of months of unrest and over 30 riots following the May 25 killing of George Floyd.
Iannarone has been vocal in her support of the nightly protests and insists that peaceful protests don’t make the same type of statement.
“Protests will continue in our city and across the country until our leaders address the problems racism, police brutality, and white supremacy undergirding our society,” she said in a statement.
“We need to understand these protests are part of a healthy democracy. Peaceful protests, in my opinion, might not necessarily be moving the conversation forward,” she told KGW8 in an Aug. 7 interview.
These opinions are not new for Iannarone, who referred to herself as “Antifa” in a January 2019 tweet:
“To those who say Antifa are violent thugs: I am not a violent thug and I am Antifa. I am Antifa because the Red Hats are coming after brown & black people, after Jews, after queer & trans people, and more. They are coming after our democracy,” she tweeted.
Iannarone is running her Progressive campaign on the platforms of climate change, housing affordability, and “staggering inequality” plaguing #OurPortland. She claims that Wheeler is collaborating with Donald Trump to abuse peaceful protestors, despite Wheeler’s demands that federal troops vacate his burning city.
In Iannarone’s campaign video, she declares that Wheeler “ceded the streets of our Sanctuary City to armed gangs of bigots.”
- Iannarone’s Portland would be the Socialist paradise of her dreams, complete with:
- A Green New Deal for Portland, targeting carbon neutrality by 2030
- “Fareless” transit for all Portlanders (i.e. taxpayer-funded)
- Defunding the Portland Police Bureau
- Preventing evictions with a Tenant’s Bill of Rights
- Drastically increasing taxes on the wealthy
- Creating municipal broadband as a public utility
- Establishing a public bank
- Guaranteed income for the most vulnerable people in the city (i.e. taxpayer-funded)
- Reforming local government
- Providing indefinite food, shelter and supply needs of quarantining Portlanders in response to the Covid-19 pandemic (taxpayer-funded)
Given that Portland is already considered one of the most liberal cities in America, it’s surprising that Iannarone can find so much to change in an effort to “improve” Portland. But it is not yet truly Socialist, so there must be work to do.
Experts predict that because Iannarone is so completely intolerant of other views. This is coupled with her embracing a narrative of violence, that increased violence is the only possible outcome of her leadership.
Antifa Has No Place In Our Government
On Fox, Rudy Giuliani just called on President Trump to declare Black Lives Matter as a domestic terrorist organization. I testified in Congress against declaring Antifa a terrorist organization. Such a declaration of BLM would be an even greater mistake. https://t.co/rsr0hdWXCi
— Jonathan Turley (@JonathanTurley) August 17, 2020
President Donald Trump has declared it a “domestic terrorist organization”, along with several members of Congress. The Antifa movement has been stirring up street violence, destroying property and attacking police in cities across the country alongside groups like Black Lives Matter.
The website Antifa.com currently leads to Joe Biden’s fundraising page. This has prompted more than speculation that people move funds raised in an effort to curb racial inequality and police brutality directly into Democrats’ fundraising for political office.
Recently, Antifa supporters in Portland wearing masks, helmets and shields have reportedly used weapons like rocks, fireworks, and bottles filled with chemical solutions against far-right protesters and instigators.
“Antifa activists focus on harassing right-wing extremists both online and in real life,” the Anti Defamation League reported. “The use of violent measures by some Antifa against their adversaries can create a vicious, self-defeating cycle of attacks, counter-attacks and blame. This is why most established civil rights organizations criticize Antifa tactics as dangerous and counterproductive,” it then added.
Will Portland elect an Antifa mayor and continue to decline? November 3 will bring more than one telling election.
- Judge Grants Preliminary Injunction vs. California Gun Show Ban
- Migrants Arrested by Border Patrol in Texas in 2 Years Exceeds Houston Population
- Maine Shooting: At Least 18 Dead, 13 Injured
- NY Judge Fines Trump $10,000 for Violating Gag Order
- Defense Department Admits Sending Back Weapons Taken from Israel to Send to Ukraine