With the winter season upon us, many people are starting to feel the stress, along with the joy, of the holidays. It’s a busy time, and juggling work responsibilities with travel plans, gift expectations, and family obligations can take a toll on health and well-being. Here are 5 important tips for staying safe and healthy this winter:
1. Wash your hands frequently. Not only does washing your hands help protect your immune system, it can keep you from being exposed to cold and flu viruses. If you can’t wash your hands as much as you’d like, have hand sanitizer close by to help in a pinch.
2. Get plenty of Vitamins C and D. Vitamin C helps your immune system battle cold and flu symptoms, and Vitamin D helps make up for the reduced exposure to sunlight in winter. It also helps your body absorb Vitamin A, Iron, and Calcium. Try to include plenty of fiber to help decrease inflammation and protect your digestive system. Omega-3 fatty acids from fish, plant seeds, and nuts are additional anti-inflammatories that can even help reduce symptoms of seasonal affective disorder.
3. Make sure to exercise regularly. Planning your exercise routine a week or two in advance will help keep you on track and make you less likely to succumb to the feeling of not wanting to work out. Exercising with a friend will help hold you accountable. If weather permits, walk outdoors to help keep stress levels down. Meditation can also help manage stress and reduce anxiety.
4. December is a time for holiday parties, so if you’re planning on consuming alcohol, make sure you have a plan for a safe ride home. Encourage your family, friends, and co-workers to do the same.
5. Get a flu shot. It can help you avoid getting sick, or at least reduce the severity of symptoms. The flu vaccine is recommended for ages 6 months and up.
Morrison Community Hospital
303 North Jackson Street
Morrison, IL 61270
© Copyright 2019, Sauk Valley Newspapers (Dixon-Sterling, IL). All Rights Reserved.